Friday, February 11, 2011

Lessons from Mulan

I've always loved Mulan. I remember watching it for the first time-it was after I had heard Christina Aguilera's song 'Reflection'.  I can't think of a single song that best captures my life as that song does. It would be the title track to the soundtrack of my life. Everytime I hear it, something stirs in my spirit. I guess that's why I have always thought that Mulan was Alter-Ego. But as I sit tonight and watch the movie (I just ordered it from my Disney Movie Club membership!), I realize that she's is not my alter-ego. She is my role model. There are so many lessons that can be learned from Mulan, so many themes that I can apply to my life. 

[1] Discipline, Strength, and Courage. In deciding to protect her family, Mulan voluntarily subjects herself to a rigorous warrior training process. She pushes herself beyond her limits and is tested in war, literally and figuratively. She knows that persistence is her only option. She can't turn back now. She develops discipline, strength, and courage above and beyond many of her peers. Of course, this is seemingly ironic because it was emphasized at the beginning of the movie several times that Mulan was a disgrace, that she should learn her place, and she dishonored her father. However, Mulan becomes a warrior of great courage, not because of her official training, but because it was already within her...I guess that's what India Arie meant with her lyrics "Strength, courage, and wisdom...it's been inside of me...all along." It's time for me to embrace mine. I can't continue to be a psullanimous individual (this word is for my Roomie). Remember this year, I'm trying to defy gravity. 

[2] Change Agent. At the very beginning of the movie, there are two very powerful quotes: "A single grain of rice can tip the scale" and " One man may be the difference between victory and defeat." Throughout the movie, Mulan does single acts that tip the scale. Launching the cannon at the iceberg. Choosing to warn Shang after being wounded and seeing the Huns. Mulan goes against gender norms, she goes against conventions. She goes again tradition. She is creative at the temple. She gets results. 

[3] Service. In choosing to serve others, Mulan 'found' herself. She learned of her own strength, determination, abilities, gifts, bravery, and character. She was tested in adversity and she rose to the challenge. Service is something that I have always valued, but lately, I haven't prioritized it. I need to reconnect with that aspect of me. 

[4] Expectations. I've been struggling with this notion of expectations. Expectations of myself. Expectations of others. Expectations of others for me. Even Mulan struggled with her family's expectations of her...she just wanted to look into the mirror and see something worthwhile. At the end, she does realize that she has to live a life that she is proud of by acting in integrity and in honor. But she also took a chill pill and noted "Im just making this up as I go!" Sometimes, that's just what is needed. A decompression. Life doesn't have to be so structured and stressful. Sometimes, it'll work out 

There's so much more that this movie offers, but it's getting super late and I have to get up in the morning early! And in the end, Mulan got her man too! #justsayin :)

1 comment:

  1. Pusillanimous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!

    Love Mulan.

    Love this post.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete